Genius Hour 1.8: Christmas Spirit

    ♡ Welcome to my last blog for this section! This week I decided to make a festive Christmas cake. I honestly love Christmas and could not wait to make this cake. I did not look at any pictures and did it from the ideas on my mind. First things first I went to the store. I got white fondant, two dark chocolate cake mixes, green icing, shiny edible spray paint, cream cheese frosting, and many little pre-made candy decorations. I made the cakes Monday night and decorated them Tuesday morning. I decided to challenge myself and make a two-tiered cake. 

    I started out on Tuesday morning by putting the cakes in the freezer so I can carve the bottom to make it flat. Once they were frozen and carved I took the bottom tier and covered it in frosting. I then rolled out the white fondant and covered the cake. I then smoothed out the fondant and cut off the excess. Then I spray painted the whole thing. This made it shimmery, and it looked like fresh fallen snow. After that tier was done, I moved on to the smaller one. I then repeated the process. After both tiers had fondant and shimmer spray, I put more frosting on the bottom of the smaller tier. This allowed me to attach the smaller tier to the bigger one and make the cake complete. Now that the hard part was done, I got to decorate!

    I began decorating by taking the green icing and putting it on the first tier to make "Christmas lights". After the icing was finished, I took the sugar candied Christmas lights and attached them to the green icing. Then I took the rest of my candied decorations and put them over the cake, where I wanted. I attached the decorations with the frosting. Honestly, I just put the decorations where I thought they would be cute. However, it turned out very well, and the cake is very festive.




    Overall, this was a pretty easy cake to be honest, but it's one of my favorites. The pumpkin cake is still my favorite, however I think it was an excellent cake to end on. This journey has been amazing and I am so proud of how far I have come. My fondant skills have got a lot better from the first cake. It was very interesting as I noticed that fondant became easier to work with over the weeks, and I learned many tips and tricks that helped me get to where I am now. I followed my action plan almost perfectly. There was only one week I made a different cake. I am very proud of myself for taking on this challenge, and not skipping any weeks, or giving up. Well that is all, I hoped you enjoyed seeing my progress and reading my blogs! Bye! ♡


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake turned out amazing Ilyssa!! I like how you break the blog down step by step. It's awesome that you came up with the idea for the cake all on your own !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment