Genius Hour- 2.7 Future Prep Night


  Welcome back to my blog! Well last night was the night! We started out by arriving at 5:30pm, an hour before the event, to set it all up. We had to set up the tables, chairs, projector, snacks, etc. By the time we were done most of the teachers were there. We decided to stand out front to welcome the people that came. I also collected the handouts from the teachers and handed them to the students as they walked in. By 6:40pm we only had seven students show, and we decided to start the night. 

    We began by introducing Laurel, Jenna, and I. We also explained genius hour and thanked them for attending. We then began going through the set schedule where each teacher presented their topic. Each teacher was absolutely amazing and had obviously came prepared. I honestly learned useful information from them too. Laurel, Jenna, and I also did our presentation on student involvement, we all talked and presented well and gave the audience useful information. After the teachers were done presenting we had a discussion for the students to ask questions. Only two of the students actually had a question, but the teachers started discussions between themselves which gave the audience even more knowledge. At 7:35pm we decided to call it a night and once everyone left we cleaned it all up.

    To be honest, it was a little disappointing to have only seven people show. However, we made the most of it and I truly believe the students that did attend learned vital information that will help them not only through high school but life. I also feel like the teachers bonded significantly and the night had a very welcoming vibe, which I hope made the students more comfortable. Overall, I am extremely proud of Laurel, Jenna, and I and all the hard work we put into the project. We followed our action plan as we executed the night successfully. For the final week of genius hour, we plan to create thank you cards for the teachers to thank them for donating their time and being wonderful people. In conclusion, I truly believe this has been a successful genius hour. I hope future classes will carry on our night and help it bloom into something more! 

Comments