Genius Hour 1.6: Another Halloween Cake

    ♡This week I made another Halloween cake. To be honest I completely forgot about my cake until Sunday morning, as Sunday is usually my baking day. I decided to not look at any picture this week and went from the ideas in my head. Originally, I was gonna make a fall cake, however I had a lot of excess fondant and I wanted to use the resources I had before buying more.   

     I started off with making a butter pecan cake. I then made my own buttercream frosting with this kit I bought about three weeks ago. Honestly, the frosting did not turn out, it was too fluffy and I wanted a creamy texture, so it would spread easily on the cake. Despite the frosting being too fluffy, I made it work and covered the cake. I have found over the weeks that the cakes are easier to frost after leaving them in the freezer for about an hour. 

    Last week I talked about how I really needed to work on covering the bottom of the cake to make it smooth, well this week I was successful. The cake looked very smooth on the bottom and there was no wrinkles. I did this by covering the cake completely in the orange fondant, and then smoothing it out all over. This helped prevent any wrinkles or bubbles from forming. After it was completely smooth, I then cut the excess off and smoothed it again. The problem before, I was cutting the excess off before smoothing the fondant.                

   After the cake was completed with the orange fondant, I then rolled out the purple fondant I had left over from last week. I picked out some old cookie cutters my mom had and used them on the fondant. Then I adhered the shapes to the the cake by using water and sticking it. This was the easiest part.     

            

 Overall, I did not follow my action plan, but I believe it's okay, as I still made a cake. It took me about a total of two hours to complete it. This has been my easiest cake so far. The pumpkin cake is still my favorite but this one was also a success. I believe I have redeemed my self from my "Halloween fail". Next week I will hopefully be making a Thanksgiving themed cake. 

Comments

  1. This looks great! The fondant is very neat and tidy and gives it a very professional appearance. You say you are buying fondant, where are you getting it from? Have you tried making your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super impressive! It really looks like it was made by a professional because it is so clean and neat. How long does it take to complete a cake like this? I can't wait to see your Thanksgiving cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this is Justin! This looks very difficult to deal with. I know for sure i could not make design like you did on this cake. This is awesome keep up the good work and the cake you brought tasted great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment