Genius Hour 1.5: A Halloween Fail

    ♡This week was a rough one. It was not a complete fail but I am unhappy with the results. I attempted a witch cake. I first started with making the cake and covering it with icing. This week I made a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. I then rolled out the fondant, however all ready I noticed the fondant was very dry and kept cracking. I think the fondant might have been old. Despite that, I kept rolling it out. I then attempted to put it over the cake. This was a disaster. The fondant kept cracking, tearing, and making holes. At this point I got very frustrated. However, I couldn't fix it so I decided to keep going. I then started on the decorations, the socks of the witch turned out terrible. I just had no way to cut the fondant perfectly, and it was hard to get the shape of the socks and stripes. I ended up tearing it off the cake in the end, because I disliked it. I then dyed some of the purple fondant, black and made the witch hat. I did not really have an idea on how to do this. I winged it, and it turned out okay. I then made a tiny pumpkin because I knew it was something I could do and it would be cute. I then took water and adhered the decorations to the cake. I decided to put orange frosting on the bottom of the cake to finish the look. Overall, the cake turned out okay, however, definitely not my best.
    To be honest, I did this cake Sunday morning, before work, when I was very tired, and not energetic. I was also not inspired or excited to do this cake. I think for next week I need to find a cake I will be excited to complete and I need to do it on a day that I am tired. I am thankful this cake was a learning experience and hopefully, I can improve my skills in the following weeks.

    Overall, I need to work on covering the cake at the bottom, as that was the worst part. This was also the first cake I did from just looking at a picture at a Pinterest picture, so I had no real direction. Everyone has rough days, and this was my rough day. It was definitely a learning experience and this coming week I plan to do research and find out the exact way to tuck the fondant at the bottom. I also plan to find a little direction for the next cake. I did follow my action plan and next week I will be making a fall cake!

Comments

  1. So was the fondant for sure old?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I think your cake looks good. Even only reading this blog, I can tell you are determined to learn and are succeeding. Great job and I look forward to seeing more of your designs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment